August 13, 2014

one puppy. two surgeries.

Raylan thought it was a normal Tuesday, until I woke her up hours before we usually get up and brought her to the vet!  Today was a big day for Raylan, she got spayed, and she had a mass removal. 

Raylan taking a break from the cone.

About a month ago I noticed a small (it felt about 2cm in diameter) lump under her skin on the back of her left hip bone.  I freaked out and immediately took her into the vet to have a biopsy done and eventually had to also send it into a lab.  The results were 'abnormal' and inconclusive.  They suggested we have the lump removed.  They couldn't be sure what it would be on a dog her age, and if it was something dangerous to her it could cause potential trouble in the future.   They guessed it was an abscess of some sort.  So we scheduled that removal along with her spay.  

We were in Sweden during the time when Raylan would have regularly gotten spayed.  We were not at all comfortable with our vet over there performing the operation.  So we decided to wait to have the surgery until we were back in the states.  We decided we couldn't do it before the wedding, because I would not have time to properly care for her amongst all of the planning.  So just in the nick of time Raylan got her 'time of the month' the week before the wedding! Yay! How fun for me, not gross at all, finally something to do with all of my 'free time' (please catch the sarcasm here).  That came and went, and after all of the commotion from the wedding I realized I now had to wait eight weeks from then to get her spayed, that would have been in September (Sam left in July and I was leaving in August)!  After some discussion with our vet whom we love, she decided it would be ok to do early, but we should try to keep it as close to our travel date as possible.  Raylan had the surgeries 11 days before we leave for Finland! Sometimes I think I do crazy things.  Then I realize that this is life and sometimes you just have to deal with the things you cannot change, things like time.  

I was a wreck bringing her in this morning and must have kissed her twenty times before I finally let the veterinarian take her away, that was at 7:30 AM.  

It felt like forever and a half later when I finally received a phone call with the great news that Raylan had done so well and she was just waking up!  The vet also told me that the mass was much larger than she had expected and tricky to remove.  She said much of it looked like built up scar tissue from some type of old trauma, but she couldn't be sure what it was.  

A few hours later (4:30 PM) I was able to pick Raylan up!  First I was given the whole spiel on post-op care and how Raylan did wonderfully.  I also was able to see the mass that was removed from her thigh/hip and I must say it excited my inner nerd.  

Sleepy puppy in the cone, she had to get the largest size!
Then Raylan came through the doors with a GINORMOUS cone on her little head and walked slowly over to me and wagged her tail just a little and gave me two big kisses!  I don't think I have ever been so happy to see her!  My eyes instantly shifted to the stitched skin on the shaved area where they removed the mass.  I could hardly take it.  Then I knew I just had to ask the vet to tell me about the larger cut that was under her body, because I would freak out if I saw it at that moment.  

Finally it was time to bring puppy home.  If she had her way we would most likely just be getting to the car.  She walked about two feet before stopping and insisting on not moving.  I eventually got her to the car.  As soon as we were in the car she started crying.  I was driving and could not comfort her, I felt terrible.  So of course I broke down and maybe cried just a little...  that felt like the longest 2 mile car ride.  She continued crying after we got home.  She accepted bits of a juicy steak I had just prepared for here and then laid down and continued crying.  OMG I was thinking, I cannot do this, I cannot do this! I have to stop the crying and pain.  Then I started feeling really guilty that I was the reason she was in pain, in fact I paid someone to do this to her.  Finally she stopped crying and we have been snuggling ever since.  

Thankfully I have been able to be with her every minute so she has been able to  be cone-free quite a lot.

We are hoping to get Raylan feeling 100% as quickly as possible and getting her back to being her playful little self!

No comments:

Post a Comment